If you just got a new job that comes with some unavoidable paperwork. There are a ton of forms that you will fill out but your new employer will have just as many, if not more, to fill out on their end. The employer will prepare a series of forms and agreements that you’ll have to run through with on-boarding.


Many of these forms are required by labor law and others are optional. Most employers will stick to just the required documents to avoid the paperwork headache.

A few things to keep in mind:

  • As a new employee, you should know your rights. You should check with local labor regulations and make sure the company is complying with the law at all times.
  • You should request and maintain copies of the paperwork you’ve filled out in case there are filling errors or you need to discuss issues with HR.
  • If you didn’t get an extended job offer or employment contract then you don’t have a job. You should request one before you step foot on the premises.
  • The business gets in trouble if they don’t fill out all the forms but so will you. You can run into issues with the IRS and other departments if all the forms are not properly filled out.

Keep reading to learn more about what types of forms you will fill out and ways you can prove eligibility and identification.

Types of Employment Forms

There are several types of employment forms that you’ll need to fill out on your first day. These can fit into the job offer, employment forms, background information, or benefits category.

Job Offer & Contract

You should have received this ahead of time but in the event that you didn’t you should be getting one right away when you get to the office. If you don’t sign a contract or job offer then you’re not an employee and anything you do from then on is for nothing.


A proper job offer will have:

  • Job Information (Title, Department, etc.)
  • Schedule
  • Length of Employment (if Contract)
  • Compensation and Benefits
  • Employee Responsibilities
  • Termination Conditions

Many companies combine an “Employee Handbook” and job offer. This means you’ll most likely sign a job offer with the basic information and then be required to read and sign that you’ve read the employee handbook and understand other elements, like termination conditions.

Required Employment Forms

These forms are required by law and all new hires should be completing these forms. These forms provide the employer with data to properly classify and pay employees. Each state or city may have different requirements so it’s good to research beforehand. Typically these forms are to be filled out within the first two weeks of on-boarding.


Common Employment Forms:

  • W-4 or W-9
  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
  • State Tax Withholding
  • Direct Deposit
  • E-Verify System

Internal Forms

There are a few common internal forms that you’ll have to sign before you can start your first day. These forms establish a relationship between you and the employer.


These types of forms can include:

  • Non-Compete Agreements
  • Non-Disclosure Agreements
  • Employee Invention Forms
  • Employee Handbook
  • Drug or Alcohol Tests
  • Roles & Responsibilities
  • Employee Equipment Forms
  • Confidentiality Agreements
  • Emergency Information (Contacts, Medical History, etc.)

Benefits Forms

If you are offered benefits then you will have to go through several pieces of paperwork that outlines what benefits the company is giving you and what you’re paying for.


These types of benefits a company may offer are:

  • Life and Health Insurance
  • Mobile Phone Plans
  • Company Car
  • Stock Options
  • Retirement Plant
  • Disability Insurance
  • Vacation or Paid Time Off
  • Sick Leave
  • Employee Wellness Perks
  • Tuition Reimbursement

Documents that Prove Eligibility

As you go through your first few days at the new job you’ll have to prove you’re eligible for employment at that company. In many cases they will ask for this immediately to start processing the paperwork or before you’re even at the office.


Most common documents to prove employment eligibility are:

  • U.S. Social Security Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Native American Tribal Documents
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • State ID
  • Employment Authorization from the Dept. of Homeland Security

Documents that Prove Identity

As you go through the on-boarding process, most likely before, you’ll have to prove your identity. In some cases proving you’re eligible can help with proving your identity. Most workplaces will require photo identification to validate who you are. In some rare cases you may have to do a video conference beforehand so they can physically see you.


Most common documents to prove your identity are:

  • Driver’s License
  • Federal or State ID
  • School ID with a Photograph
  • U.S. Armed Services ID
  • Voter Registration Card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Marine ID
  • Native American Tribal Documents
  • Driver’s License from a Foreign Country